Yesterday Sony released firmware updates for both the PlayStation Portable in the form of version 6.30 and the PS3 with firmware version 3.40. The PS3 got the more significant update, but we have a full list of features after the jump.
The features of Firmware 3.40, straight from the Playstation Blog are:
- PlayStation Plus: PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership to Playstation Plus; a new subscription service on the PlayStation Network that provides you with new options to expand and enhance your gaming experience and enable you to gain an exclusive set of features and content. Friendly reminder, all of you PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to PlayStation Network’s unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of gaming features, content and functionality.
- Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa Web Albu. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.
- Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables you to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.
- Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate the PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
- Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing you with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.
They aren't super well explained in the article, but the major perks of being a PSN Plus member are:
- Free monthly PSN games, minis and classics from the PSN store. These are playable for as long as you have a PSN Plus membership, although if your subscription expires and you reactivate it you will regain access to these titles.
- Exclusive Playstation Store discounts ranging from 20%-50% with all titles purchased being yours even if your subscription expires.
- Early access to demos and beta trials.
- Full game trials, allowing you to try a full game before you buy it and then pick up right where you left off once you buy the game.
- Automatic download and install which lets you set your PS3 to wake up from standby and begin downloading/installing titles any time. System updates will also download, but not install, automatically.
PSN Plus will cost $17.99 for 3 months or $49.99 for 12 months. If you purchase the 12 month plan, Sony will give you an extra 3 months free, making it a 15 month subscription for $49.99.
As for the PSP update, it's quite a bit smaller but includes the following features
- PSN Plus support, allowing you to play your downloaded Minis and PSOne games on your PSP.
- The ability to group your games into categories, including: PSP games, Minis, Playstation, PCEngine, and NEOGEO.
Both of them are live now, so go ahead and download them and reap all the goodies that they have to give.